Monday, December 24, 2007

Dedicated to California Grandpal

California Grandpal, not Grandpa, but Grandpal, past away on the 20th of this month. We had some fun times...the times that we had were always loving and stress free, the way it supposed to be with grandparents. He became my "pal" when I was 9 and then when I was a young teenager, in the 9th grade. I didn't remember meeting him until I was 8 and that was in Ca. where he lived. My sister and I stayed with he and his wife, my Grand"mal" for 2 summers in Ca. and had the best times. Won't ever forget those days.

Grandpal bought me my first pair of cowboy boots. They were grey Justin Ropers the best shoes I EVER danced in!!! I won't forget the day we actual bought them...I couldn't believe he was spending that kind of money on me for a pair of shoes...89.99. He had spoken about getting me a pair of boots for 7 years...my mother, his daughter kept telling him NO due to my foot was still growing, so we kept holding off. I'm so glad we did, because of the wonderful memories I have "walking"/dancing in those boots. In our family we call walking dancing...we're going to go walk the floor. Anyhow, wonderful fun times in those Justin Roper Boots. Grandpal, thanks again!

In High School, my grandparents lived with us...that was cool. My grandparents came and watched me play Powder Puff Football...I played left end tackle. It meant so much to me that they, my grandparents went & I had someone in the stands. Even though we lost to the juniors, I was still so proud that they were there.

Grandpal gave me one of the best compliments ever. He and I were driving (stick shift)home from the store taking the exit Grauwyler off of Loop 12. As we were going down the ramp, he told me, you shift like I did when I drove a truck. It's good that you do that, you'll save wear and tear on your car like gears and breaks, and it's safer for others around you. I had no idea I was doing something right, but I felt very proud of myself being a somewhat new driver & doing something right.

He was a gentle man...very loving. He had the softest & cleanest hands for a mechanic. He was a world wide traveling mechanic. He traveled in all parts of the world. He brought us back stuff from China, Japan, Mexico, and other places. When he would be in the area, he would come and visit. He loved family and he loved his extended family as if they were his own. His step sons called him "POP".

My Grandpal is no longer suffering. He is now with GOD, his sister Aunt Irene along with lots of other relatives. As my mother says, he gets to watch the Cowboy game with Aunt Irene again. (I'm sure glad the Cowboys won this week.) ;) My Grandpal had been diagnosed with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, along with that he had a few heart attacks, not sure how many. He too had strokes. I'm glad that God took him where he wouldn't suffer anymore. My Grandmal took care of him like he was gold on a platinum platter. She is an awesome lady...She is definitely one of God's angels.

I could keep typing about memories & fun things, but I just wanted to share a few things that I got to have with my Grandpal. I love him and will cherish the time we had. He was 81 and lived a life of love.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpal... I know you'll miss him. Praise God he is no longer suffering.

Great to see y'all even for a short visit on Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I Love You, Baby....Mom